Savory Spinach and Cheese Bread Pudding

Savory bread pudding? Is this possible? Edible? Wh-at?



I was thumbing through my co-worker's Mediterranean Harvest cookbook by Martha Rose Shulman and saw Savory Bread Pudding. Honestly, I had been thinking I needed to do something with all the bread piling up in my refrigerator. I'm not a big bread eater, but somehow I've been getting a lot lately. After a day or two I pop it in the frig because my kitchen gets a lot of sun and tends to warm up during the day, especially in the hot days we've been having down here in Georgia.

How weird it must look to people who come over and open up the frig for a glass of water or wine and are greeted by half full bags of bagels and breads sticking out from every shelf! Throwing it away would be the normal thing, but that seems wasteful to me, so I was very happy to have just the recipe for not so fresh bread.

I used a combination of crusty French bread, challah, seseme seed bagels, and whole-wheat bagels.



Strata
*adapted from Mediterranean Harvest

1/4 pound stale bread, sliced into cubes about 1/2 inch thick
1 garlic clove
grated cheese, about 1/4 cup or more
1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach (could use fresh)
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
salt and pepper (black and cayenne)


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


  2. Dice garlic and add to cubed bread. Layer half in a baking dish, add cheese and spinach, and then other half of bread.


  3. Beat eggs and milk until mixed well. Add about 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste.


  4. Bake 40 minutes until puffed and browned

Can be served hot or cold. It was delicious at room temperature served with a fresh green salad.

No comments: