TwD: (FOR REAL) TARTEST LEMON TART

I imagine this pie is the kinda thing all little Lemon Ice Box Pies aspire to. It's what they dream of being if only someone would have given them the whole lemon. Using a whole lemon for a recipe was a first for me, and it turned out great. I love that idea. Partly because using the whole of something is more eco-friendly, and partly because it's less prep and clean-up work for me. 
I used regular organic lemons, whatever kind Wild Oats had in singles. I saw some people used Meyer's lemons, which probably made theirs less tart. I love sour stuff - those awful Tear Jerkers, the fluorescent gummy worms - and this reminded me of a sweet kick of sour candy. I used Dorie's sweet nutty tart dough, adding a handful of coarsely chopped walnuts for texture. The crust was tasty, though it turned out crumbly and wanted to break apart coming out of the pan. Hmm, I wonder what I did wrong with the dough. The lemon filling was great, smooth and tart and not too jelly-like. 
My tart was tart...so much so that I moaned myself to sleep with a bellyache after eating a whole piece. But it was almost worth it because this is really delish. Thanks to Babette of Babette Feasts for choosing something citrusy and different! 



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks yummy. I love the almonds on top.

Unknown said...

Your tart looks perfect! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Mine was really bitter - too much to enjoy.

Megan said...

Woo hoo! Sounds like it was really good at your house.

Too bad it ended up in the trash at mine.

margot said...

Yours turned out fantastic! It wasn't a huge favorite of mine, but I thought it was really fun to make.

Jennifer said...

I used pistachios in my crust and it was good, but I don't think anyone would have been able to "guess the nut."
It seems like mine came out a lot less tart than most people's. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, as I wish to make it again (for my book club this weekend) and I don't know if I got lucky (with less bitter pith) or if I should adapt the recipe, by using less pith. Hmmm...

TeaLady said...

That Tart looks delicious. Love the almond slivers.